Use unique textures found in nature — Bring the outside in
Woven wood shades on your windows is a style of blind that brings the beauty of natural textures to your home decor.
What is one of the most striking trends in home design in the Calgary area?
The answer is organic-modern style. This style embraces modern architecture and adds layers of natural and organic materials to create a comfortable, cozy feel to your home.
The secret ingredient of organic-modern homes is how design achieves clean lines (the modern) while adding natural textures and fibers (the organic) — textures add warmth, comfort, and nuance to your room.
“A subtle amount of texture attracts the eye. ” (Clyde Aspevig)
How about a quick video before we get into all the details:
Are you ready to add the depth of textures and appeal of natural elements to your room with woven wood blinds?
What this article covers:
- What are Woven Wood Shades?
- Top-Down and Bottom-Up Woven Wood Shades
- What are your opacity choices — view-through and privacy?
- What are the fabric choices for woven wood shades?
- Adding a liner to the blind — Your choices
- Vertical Natural Shades for patio doors — an elegant style
- How can I get these blinds?
What are Woven Wood Shades?
The woven wood shade is a roman style blind crafted from natural woods, reeds, bamboo, and grasses.
Natural materials, like bamboo, reeds, grass, and jute, are tightly woven together to create an intricate design — an aesthetic that is both earthy and relaxing.
The beauty is in the detail of the weave — all with the natural colors and textures.
You choose from a collection of refined weaves that range from sheer to opaque — filter sunlight beautifully and offer desired privacy levels.
You have three (3) choices for how the shade appears in the fully lowered position:
- Shade hangs flat in a fully lowered position.
- When raised, it creates even overlapping folds.
- Comes standard with Roman Valance
- The fabric cascades from the front of the headrail.
- This choice offers a tailored look
- No valance
- Gentle folds create a more traditional and dimensional look.
- Valance is standard
Top-Down and Bottom-Up Woven Wood Shades
A majority of homeowners in the Calgary area, looking for window coverings, ask for the Top-Down feature — highly desired, you will love it.
Let in natural light while maintaining privacy by lowering the shade from the top.
Or, lift the shade for a full view of the outside.
The Top-Down Bottom-Up feature suits the whole theme of creating inviting spaces that are warm, natural, and effortlessly sophisticated.
You harmonize natural, sustainably produced fibers such as cotton, bamboo, seagrass, and jute into your modern lifestyle — make your home feel cozy yet modern.
The top-down feature connects you to the outdoors in an earth-friendly style.
What are your opacity choices — view-through and privacy?
The prime functions of a shade or blind are to filter sunlight, offer privacy, and control light.
How woven wood blinds offer privacy and light control?
Let’s delve into the functional aspects of this style!
You choose from the four(4) opacities, depending on your choice of fabric.
- Most Light – Least Privacy
- Moderate Light – Some Privacy
- Some Light – More Privacy
- Least Light – Most Privacy
What are the fabric choices for woven wood shades?
Woven wood shade fabrics delight you with three features:
- natural fibers handcrafted or weaved into artful designs
- fabric richness in texture and color — no two organic materials look the same
- imperfections in the fabric are part of the fabric’s natural and unique beauty.
“Texture and pattern should function as a surprise.” (Robert Denning)
You have a splendid assortment of fabrics to choose from.
I will showcase few fabrics.
Wood & Bamboo
- The lightness of bamboo makes it perfect for weaving with natural fibers
- Small rays of light filter through the shade, giving your home a natural touch
Grass & Reeds
- Grass and reeds come in a variety of gorgeous neutral shade and color palette.
- Earthy colors and cozy textures add a unique appeal to your window treatments
Reeds & Sticks
- The beauty of reeds and sticks is how thickness, texture, and graining differ slightly from piece to piece.
- The style is fresh and on-trend — knock back the formality
Grays & Bright neutrals
- Color ranges from neutral hues to fresh darker tones.
- The design blends neutrals with weathered hues of grey, gold, and off-black.
Knots & Weaves
- Hand knots in the fabric inject a pared-down luxe aesthetic.
- Weaves of fibers in hearty earth tones adds textural beauty that is exotic, yet modern.
Adding a liner to the blind — Your choices
You have the option or choice to add liner fabric to your woven wood blind.
Why do you add liner material to your blind?
Liner fabric behind woven fibers serves a few important pursuits:
- Better light control
- Safeguard natural fibers from the harsh sun.
- Aesthetic appeal — edge banding
- Some weaves pull close together, while others need more room — add a liner for more privacy.
You have four(4) choices for adding a liner to your fabric weave.
- Light enters via gaps in the weave.
- Shapes are visible when looking out of or into your home.
Add Privacy Liner
- This liner is attached to the fabric and operates with the shade.
- Diffused natural light enters your room.
- Shapes appear as silhouettes from the outside.
Choose Room-Darkening Liner
- This liner is attached to the fabric and operates with the shade.
- Liner fabric blocks most of the natural light.
- No shapes or silhouettes appear for complete privacy.
Independent Operable Liner
- This liner features a 3⁄8 inch honeycomb fabric behind a woven wood shade
- Combine the beauty and essence of natural woven shades with the energy efficiency and functionality of a honeycomb shade.
- Both the shade and liner operate independently
- You can trim or frame the shade with one inch (1″) edge banding.
- Colour coordinated edge banding sewn onto the edges creates a beautiful frame around woven wood fabrics.
- I recommend edge banding on fabrics prone to fraying on fabric edges.
Vertical Natural Shades for patio doors — an elegant style
You have two (2) choices for wide windows and sliding glass doors.
Vertical drapery made of natural fibres — natural wood, reeds, bamboo, and grasses — is a beautiful solution for wide windows and patio doors.
Gentle fabric folds bring an added dimension to a room.
Natural drapes feature the rolling qualities of drapery in vertically oriented natural shade material.
The familiar question is:
What are your choices for sliding-glass doors beyond traditional vertical blinds?
The answer is a sliding panel design as it features a slim profile and a thoroughly modern look.
Sliding panels are handcrafted from intricately designed woven fabrics and lighter weight materials — rich in texture and sleek design.
“The color, the shape, and the texture—none of it is accidental.” (Tim Gunn)
You choose how to stack natural drapes and sliding panels — left, right, or center — for the best use in your space.
How can I get these blinds? — Shop at home convenience
You need to see these shades in your home. Then, you coordinate with your wall colors, flooring, and other furnishings.
Schedule our FREE In-Home consultation.
When we meet, I value your time and efforts by:
- showing hand samples, fabrics, style books and more
- sharing expert advice — vital details
- measuring your windows for perfect fit
- providing you with an EXCLUSIVE pricing estimate
What are you waiting for – Go ahead and Schedule our Free In Home Consultation .