Twist the norm into something fresh — Roman shades are the hallmark of window coverings
The roman shade design is timeless, an ingenious shading solution to stack up the fabric evenly, as you raise the shade.
The name “Roman Shade” graces the grandeur of the epic era — the glory.
“Well, Rome wasn’t built in a day.”
Did your eyes conjure up the image of a Grand Colosseum?
How about arched entrances and upscale spectacles?
Awnings were rolled out from the top story to shield the audience from the hot Roman sun as they delighted in the entertainment.
In delight, a concept surfaced — how to stack and roll the fabric using a mechanism.
As modern architecture embraced the use of glass panes over the windows, the roman design concept thrived into a de facto window treatment style.
So much so, the use of wood shutters on windows diminished.
Let’s look at the modern avatar of this lasting design — for your Calgary home windows.
What this page covers:
- What are Roman shades?
- What are the two styles for Roman Blinds?
- How can I get see-through and privacy from Roman Window Shadings?
- Top-Down and Bottom-Up Roman Blinds
- What are the fabric choices for Roman Blinds?
- How do you operate Roman Style blinds?
- How do you clean Roman Shades?
- Who install Roman blinds?
- Shop at home convenience
What are Roman shades?
Roman shades are fabric shades with folds of fabric that cascade down elegantly to display fabric beauty at your windows.
The soft cascading flow of the fabric is the signature beauty of these shades — folds of fabric fall in stages, each of which triggers the next fold.
Let me show you with this video:
What is modern about this style?
- Splendid choice of fabric to dress your windows — add a homey vibe
- Each fold of fabric is tailored for a crisp and flawless appearance
- Clean, uniform aesthetic with seamless fabrics — your entire space can feel fresh, on-trend, and refined.
- Top-Down and Bottom-Up Control option — enjoy natural light and privacy at the same time
- Transform incoming light at the window — from sheer to room darkening
The picture below shows the beauty of this style.
What are the two styles for Roman Blinds?
You have two styles to choose from:
Full fabric folds
- Soft folds of fabric — 4-inch contoured folds
- Shades are reminiscent of a typical Roman shade.
- Look offers the softness of drapery
- Folds are evenly sized based on your shade height for a clean, proportional look
Flat style fabric
- Flat style fabric panels — 6-inch flats
- Flat, crisp folds for more casual or contemporary settings
- Looks offer simple sophistication
- Simple, uncluttered, and elegantly tailored design
How can I get see-through and privacy from Roman Window Shadings?
Each shade fabric filters a different amount of light when you lower the shade fabric.
Roman Shades come in three opacities to meet the lighting needs of your rooms.
- Allows see-through
- Transform incoming light
- Enjoy the beauty of your space even more
- Allows light to filter through and good privacy.
- Dims natural light.
- Blocks natural light for complete privacy.
- Duolite® system combines a light-filtering or sheer front shade with a room-darkening back panel.
- Achieve perfect levels of light and privacy — Give yourself ultimate control.
Top-Down and Bottom-Up Roman Blinds
- Opt for the top-down and bottom-up style for your blinds — You get privacy with a view.
- Shade operates from both directions — top and bottom.
- You will enjoy the natural light and privacy at the same time.
- Top-down feature is the desired option for homes today — transform incoming light, make it practical
- Add vivacity and allure to your rooms, yet enjoy the classic elegance
What are the fabric choices for Roman Blinds?
The emphasis on bringing fabric beauty to your space is a pivotal element in choosing roman shades.
Modern roman shade fabrics are fascinating homeowners now more than ever — contemporary textures and poised colors.
Handpicked premium fabrics – silks, linens, tweeds, and natural weaves – in a variety of beautiful colors and distinct textures will complement your décor and create welcoming, comfortable spaces.
I will showcase a few fabrics below to help you visualize some decor themes
- Add a soft hue in the room to get the most natural light in.
- Appoint through the rest of the home with deepening shades of blue and grey for an elegant contrast.
- Window seat is the loved element in your home.
- You create a snug corner with a refined style.
- Choose a blind fabric that accents the cozy feel — a homey haven
- You aim for the paint color, accent colors, lighting, and furniture to flow.
- Choose a color palette. It could be a rug, shade, tabletop, fabric, a large piece of art, etc.
- To get a cohesive look, you use prime colors in your room — add 10% of an accent color
- Beautiful shades on windows will pull it all together.
- The picture below shows how grey, chestnut, and olive accents creates a casual, layered look.
How do you operate Roman Style blinds?
You have five (5) ways to operate your modern roman shades.
The use of a mechanism to move the shade made this style proliferate back in its heyday.
The mechanism has made the pact with today — Go Smart or go home!
Five ways to operate the shade are:
Use smartphones, tablets, or a remote control
- Brilliant wireless operating system gives homeowners the power to control shades from any smart devices of today.
- You operate and you can also schedule them to open and close precisely when you tell them to
Use retractable pull cord system
- Single retractable pull cord system
- Cord remains the constant length for enhanced child safety
Use manual cordless operation
- Cordless manual operation — move the shade up or down using your hand
- Added child and pet safety benefits
Use continuous cord loop system
- Features a loop that remains the same length
- The cord mounts to the window frame for enhanced child safety
Use cord-lock control system
- Raise and lower using free-hanging cords
- Cords and tassels on fabric shades color coordinate with your fabric
How do you clean Roman Shades?
Handle with care, as you would any fine fabric.
The cleaning methods are:
- Dust with a feather duster or low suction vacuum.
- Blow dirt and debris from within the fabric folds using clean, compressed air or a hairdryer set
on the COOL setting (not WARM or HOT).
- Spot-clean using a solution of warm water and mild detergent. Do not rub the fabric.
- Steam the face fabric from the bottom to the top. Be careful not to saturate the fabric with steam.
Who install Roman blinds?
One of our professional installers will take care of your new window shades.
Modern day shades have nuances that need a professional set of eyes.
Challenges happen, but what matters is how they get resolved.
These shades come with Limited Lifetime Warranty. Your satisfaction with window coverings is important in this process.
Shop at home convenience
You need to see these shades in your home. Then, you can coordinate with your wall colors, flooring, and other furnishings.
Schedule our FREE In-Home consultation.
When you do that, we value your time and efforts by
- showing all that you need to see — working hand samples, fabrics, style books and more
- sharing expert advice — little details are vital
- measuring your windows for a perfect fit
- providing an estimate
When we meet, I discuss these methods and more with you. What are you waiting for – Schedule Our Free In-Home Consultation