Tap into nature’s gift — Cellular Shades Save on Energy Bills
The cellular shade is a style of window covering that embraces an impressive design from nature and saves your energy bills.
Cellular Shade is energy efficient because of its cell or honeycomb design — cells trap air, and air pockets are natural insulators.
What detail nature reveals is uncertain; however,
nature unveils reality at each expose
Do you feel joyous bringing beautiful shades into your Calgary home?
By choosing cellular shades for your windows, you brace the nature’s ritual — Good for nature, good for you.
What this page covers:
- What is a Cellular or Honeycomb shade?
- Top-Down and Bottom-Up Cellular Shades
- What are your opacity choices — view-through and privacy?
- What is the R-Value for this style?
- What are the fabric choices for Honeycomb Blinds?
- Vertical Cellular Shades for patio doors — a must-see style
- How do you operate Cellular blinds?
- How do you clean Cellular blinds?
What is a Cellular or Honeycomb shade?
Cellular shades or honeycomb shade is a window covering made of woven or spun-lace fabrics, fabric is formed into honeycomb-shaped cells.
The fabric shade offers unsurpassed beauty to your windows — diffuse light and provides comfort throughout your home.
Let me show you a closeup of the shade.
You can visualize the elegance of this style for your room or space.
I will also show you the side-view of the shade so you can see the cells.
You have three (3) choices for cell design.
Single Cell Design
- one row of cells that stack on top of each other
- Single cell shades range in cell and pleat widths from 3/8th of an inch to 2 inches
- provide a clean, less busy look
- a value price point option as it uses a single layer
Cell Within A Cell Design
- Unique Design — have an outer layer and an inner layer of fabric, hence the name cell-within-a-cell
- Shade fabric looks richer
- Superior energy efficiency and a softer look and feel.
- Exclusive to the premium window covering supplier — Hunter Douglas
Double Cell Design
- provides two layers of cells — slightly offset rows of cells
- Double cell shades usually come in smaller sizes — less than ½ inch
- design is more intricate and requires more fabric to make
- better energy efficiency and noise reduction
Watch the video below to see how this style of shade provides comfort throughout your home—no matter the season.
Top-Down and Bottom-Up Cellular Shades
The shape, overall aesthetic, energy-efficiency, and design of cellular shades are nothing short of spectacular.
And as if that wasn’t enough, this shade style enacted the Top-Down and Bottom-Up design feature to the most sought-after feature of the shade.
This feature allows you to operate the window shades both from top and bottom. So, you get to enjoy the natural light and privacy at the same time.
Let’s say your window faces the street. You can lower the shade down from the top to usher in the light and still not expose your room to a view from the street.
Look at the picture below and judge for yourself.
- Top-down/bottom-up shades enhance privacy without completely blocking light from entering the room
- Control light and privacy in one system – the best of both the worlds.
- Lower shades from the top, or raise from the bottom, or any combination in between.
- Offers a more versatile approach to light control.
What do I mean by a versatile approach? I will present this scenario to you:
The shades are in your master bedroom or ensuite area. You have the option to drop the top of the shade down in the early morning. As the room gets soaked in the morning sunlight, you are free to move about the room with no compromise to your privacy.
You decide on the level of exposure for your room from the outside world, while natural light makes way from the top — unobstructed views.
That is what I mean — a versatile display like our nature
Nature reveals and heals
What are your opacity choices — view-through and privacy?
Cellular Shades are available in a wide variety of fabrics and materials.
They come in a range of opacities from sheer to opaque — offering varying degrees of privacy and light control options.
- for ultimate daylighting and view-through
- offers minimal privacy
- for indistinct view-through
- offers moderate or barely perceptible privacy
- for diffused soft light into your room
- offers excellent privacy
- for room-darkening or light-blocking – ideal for bedrooms
- offers maximum privacy
Duolite® or Dual Fabric Option
- combines two fabrics — one light filtering, the other room darkening—into a single shade
- ideal option for controlling light and privacy in your home
The picture below compares the level of privacy you get going from sheer fabric to room darkening, judged from outside with the lights on during night time.
You will get to see these choices and more when we meet for our FREE in-home consultation and measurement.
Privacy and Light Control
Cellular Shades are available in a wide variety of fabrics and materials. They come in a range of opacities from sheer to opaque — offering varying degrees of privacy and light control options.Sheer fabric; for ultimate daylighting and view-through
- Sheer fabric; for ultimate daylighting and view-through
- Semi-sheer fabric; for view-through and increased privacy
- Semi-opaque fabric; for diffused light and excellent privacy
- Opaque fabric; for room darkening and maximum privacy
Warmth welcomes you home – Energy Efficient Shades
Windows do more than just let in light and offer a view to the outdoors. They’re also where a home can lose up to 50% of its heating and cooling.
Heat moves toward cold, and windows offer a perfect path: it enters your home in the summer and exits in the winter. The insulating effect of cellular shades can help lower your energy consumption and costs.
Top-Down Bottom-Up Shades
The best of both worlds. Control light and privacy in one system. Lower shades from the top down, or raise from the bottom up or any combination in between.
Top-Down Bottom-Up feature offers a more versatile approach to light control.
You know the Venetian blinds or wood blinds – blinds with slats. You move the blind up or down or you tilt-open or tilt close the slats. Tilting allows you an intermediate position so you can view outside with lifting the whole blind up.
Until Top-Down and Bottom-Up feature, the intermediate position was missing from shades. Shades were either up or down.
Top-Down and Bottom-Up feature allowed the desired intermediate position and cellular shades made this feature sought-after, trendy and fashionable.
Duolite – Two Shades, One Exceptional Design
You can choose two different fabrics of different opacities and merge then into one urbane and elegant window covering design. Duolite offers a multitude of ways for you to manage your light and privacy needs.
When you add sheer as the top fabric choice, shade adds stunning visual interest and sophisticated appeal at the window. Sheer offers managed-view and soft appearance while providing privacy – artistry that is smart and stunning.
Sheer fabric softens harsh light while protecting against damaging ultraviolet rays. The second fabric can be a light filtering fabric or light blocking fabric.
Duolite cellular shades provide smart and stylish solutions that are just as beautiful as they are beneficial – extra benefit and mileage in one design.
Shop at home convenience
You need to see these shades in your home. Then, you can coordinate with your wall colors, flooring, and other furnishings.
Schedule our FREE In-Home consultation.
When you do that, we value your time and efforts by
- showing all that you need to see — working hand samples, fabrics, style books and more
- sharing expert advice — little details are vital
- measuring your windows for a perfect fit
- providing an estimate
One of our professional installers will install cellular shades on your windows.
Yes, our installers have years of experience installing window coverings. They also get trained by the suppliers how to handle the specific nuances of a particular shade type. In the end, It’s not about their qualifications, certifications, or how they dress, it’s about who they are as a person.
I take the ownership of your shade job with one guiding belief – “Professionals are pleasant even during trying times.” Challenges happen, but what matters is how they get resolved.
No, they aren’t a superhero, but they strive to find the best solution without being given step-by-step instructions.
Limited Lifetime Warranty
These shades come with Limited Lifetime Warranty. Your satisfaction with window coverings is important in this process.
So, shades need to work to your satisfaction. All of our suppliers offer Limited Lifetime Warranty on shades.
I align with quality fabricators to bring the best shades to your home. Shades come with a quality that provides a LIFETIME of enjoyment. Fabricators put shades and hardware through rigorous testing – such as color steadfastness, durability and against environmental extremes.
Shade fabrics are GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified to assure that they are as environmentally friendly as they are beautiful. You can be sure of the investment in the most reliable window covering for your home.
Care and Cleaning
Shades will need care and clean with time. The common cleaning methods are
- Dusting: You do the regular dusting. This maintains a like-new appearance of Cellular Shades.
- Vacuuming: A gentle vacuuming once a month is all that you may need. Take your portable kitchen vacuum and put it on a low non-heat setting. Vacuum gently.
- Compressed air: Use a can of compressed air to dust off the shades once a year.
When we meet, I discuss these methods and more with you. What are you waiting for – Schedule our Free In-Home Consultation.